Friday, October 30, 2009

10-30-09

Well, yesterday I met the guy with the battle plan. Then found out he is NOT the guy since my insurance isn't accepted at that office. There is a ton of insurance bull crap and like I said from the beginning, I am afraid it is not the cancer that will kill me, but the insurance.

Anyway, this coming week, I will have a heart test, a PET scan (to check for cancer in other spots) and have the power port installed. Busy week coming up. I will meet my new oncologist the following Monday and perhaps start the chemo at that time.

So I guess I'll be bald in about three weeks.

What new stuff did I learn yesterday? That I will have radiation after chemo is over. I thought the mastectomy would mean no radiation. But, that is not the case. I will also have the genetic test and if I test positive, then I will have to make a decision about cutting off more parts to decrease chance of recurrence.

So, things we are hoping for:
1. No mets on PET scan, that is hasn't spread. If it has, the plan changes. If it has, I will be a stage IV, that is a different ball game.
2. Negative genetic test, not so much for me, but for my kids. The thought of having more stuff cut out or off sucks, but is do-able. I just don't want to think of my kids having to worry about this and being tested and having to think about cancer as young women.

My 12yo DD asked me if chemo could do anything worse than just make me feel sick. She wants to know if I am going to die but doesn't know how to ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment